Sunday, June 5, 2011

A FOREVER FEAST, PARENT'S PRAYER



Parent's Prayer

O Heavenly Father, make me a better parent.
Teach me to understand my children, to listen
patiently to what they have to say and to
answer all their questions kindly.  Keep me
from interrupting them or contradicting them.
Make me as courteous to them as I would
have them be to me.  Forbid that I should ever
laugh at their mistakes, or resort to shame
or ridicule when they displease me.  May I
never punish them for my own selfish satisfaction
or to show my power.  Let me not tempt my
child to lie or steal.  And guide me hour
by hour that I may demonstrate by all I say
and do that honesty produces happiness.
Reduce, I pray, the meaness in me.  And when
I am out of sorts, help me, O Lord, to hold
my tongue.  May I ever be mindful that my
children are children and I should not expect
of them the judgement of adults.  Let me not
rob them of the opportunity to wait on
themselves and to make decisions.  Bless me
with the bigness to grant them all their
reasonable requests and the courage to deny
them  privileges I know will do them harm.
Make me fair and just and kind.  And fit me
O Lord, to be loved and respected and
imitated by my children

author unknown


I found this prayer on a baby card many years ago.
It is still in my keeping as I treasure the message.
My girls are grown and now I can observe their mothering skills
with my grandchildren.
I share this prayer with them as well as any other mother to whom
God has entrusted precious children.
It is still my prayer for myself as a grandmother and auntie.



No comments:

Post a Comment