Monday, July 18, 2011

MIXED BERRY JAM


My favorite jam used to be strawberry.  One day I decided to try
a mixture of strawberry and raspberry and the result was a
delicious intense flavor with strawberry being prominent.
Now I'm not sure which one is my favorite.


These fresh plump berries come from a local colony garden
instead of being trucked in from thousands of miles away.


After rinsing and stemming, I pulse the berries in my food
processor to obtain an even dice.  It is not a puree but rather
a coarse chop without any chunks.


Along with the pectin, I add lemon juice and butter.
The butter eliminates the foam.  I cannot explain
what happens scientifically.  I just know it does.


During the cooking process, the foam will be present.
 I remove the kettle from the heat and stir for 5 minutes.


The foam is gone and the glossy pure jam is poured into hot jars.
I keep the jars hot by turning them upside down in a container of hot water
that is on low heat while I cook the jam.


This is a darker batch of jam where I decided to add some
Saskatoon berries as well.  It has a marvellous flavor.


My granddaughter Alyson loves toasted whole wheat bread
spread with jam ... or jelly as she calls it.

MIXED BERRY JAM

5 cups finely chopped fruit
( I use 4 cups strawberries and 1 cup other berries, such as
raspberries and/or Saskatoon or Blueberries)
1/4 cup water
1 box certo pectin crystals
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. butter or margarine

Stir together fruit, water, pectin, lemon juice and butter in a
large saucepan or Dutch oven.
Bring to a boil over high heat.

7 cups sugar

Add the sugar all at once.
Return to a hard boil for 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir for 5 minutes to eliminate foam.
Pour into very hot sterilized jars.
Close with lids that have been heated in hot water for 5 minutes.
Screw rings on tightly.
Cooked jam may be stored on the shelf unopened for
up to a year.

1 comment:

  1. wow wow wow!! tried a batch of the strawberry raspberry!! delicious!! everyone who tries it loves it!! never heard of the butter thing before but it sure works! thanks for sharing this recipe!! wendy

    ReplyDelete