Tuesday, August 30, 2011

AMISH PEANUT BUTTER SPREAD


I had my first introduction to this delicious creamy spread in a
Mennonite restaurant.  It was on the table with the other condiments
and I had no idea what it was.  My daughter said it was yummy so
I tried it on the mini slices of bread that were served as an appetizer.
I was won over with one taste.


An Amish friend told me that simple refreshments are served after the
Sunday Church services.  It is a time for fellowship and  also because it could take
some time to drive home with a horse and buggy.
This peanut butter spread is on the menu. 


I remember peanut butter and honey sandwiches in my school lunch box.
By noon the honey would be a bit crystallized.
There is no need for honey with this spread and it goes on to
a slice of bread ... oh so smooth!

AMISH PEANUT BUTTER SPREAD

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp. butter
1/4 cup corn syrup

Combine sugar, water and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and
simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.  Stir in syrup.

1 ½ cups peanut butter
1 cup marshmallow creme
½ tsp. vanilla

Add peanut butter, marshmallow creme and vanilla.  Beat together until
blended.  Spread will set as it cools.  Keep refrigerated.
Yield: about 4 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment