Thursday, August 25, 2011

SESAME SNAP WAFERS


Brimming with toasted seeds, these wafers have a crunchy snap.


If you like these, you will like the homemade version.
I was addicted to these little packages before I found the recipe for the wafers.
Now I prefer the ones I make because they are not nearly as sweet.
 Alright, I confess I still buy them on occasion.


Toast the sesame seed on a shallow baking pan.


The wafer dough is quite soft; chill after mixing to make it easier
to work with.


A cookie scoop is less messy than using your hands,
and works great to get a uniform size.


Flatten slightly with a glass tumbler that has a flat bottom.
Because the dough is sticky, dip glass bottom in water and
shake off the excess.


As the wafers cool they become crisp, yet chewy.


When I made these wafers for market, one of my customers told
me she takes them home and bakes them again to make them very crisp.


Tied up and ready for gift giving.

SESAME SNAP WAFERS

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla;
beat until creamy.

2/3 plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder

Blend flour and baking powder.  Add to creamed mixture until combined.

1¼ cups sesame seeds, toasted

Stir in seeds.
Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto cookie sheet lined with
parchment paper.  Bake in preheated 350° oven for 8 to 9 minutes or
until lightly browned.  Cool for 5 minutes on sheet, then transfer to rack
to cool completely.  Store in airtight container.
Yield: about 36 wafers

* To toast sesame seeds, place in large ungreased shallow pan.
Bake at 300° for 8 to 10 minutes until lightly golden.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed these, but I don't think I toasted my sesame seeds enough. They tasted raw in the cookie. Next time I will brown them for a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are these in the freezer? Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, made these for the ladies today, they were a hit.Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete