Wednesday, August 3, 2011

SOUTHERN PECAN PIE


The nice people at Friesen Plastic made my sign.
I felt they were well-deserving of special appreciation and
what could be more appropriate than the real thing on the picture.
Thank you Tanya for the wonderful service.


Some may think this precise placement of the pecans is too
fussy and time consuming.
It actually goes very quickly and the result is so pretty.


Begin with a pie crust and coarsely chopped nuts.


Whip together the filling ingredients and pour over the nuts.


Because this was a give-away I made the pie in a foil pan.
The recipe calls for a 9 or 10 - inch pan so I got to make a mini
pie for myself.  Do suppose it was all in the plans?


As I chop the nuts for the first layer, I set aside the perfectly whole ones.
They don't sink .. just float so beautifully on top.


Begin the second row and the third .... and there is just enough
space for the final one.


This is my mini treat ...  but big enough to share
with a friend.


SOUTHERN PECAN PIE

Pastry for 10-inch one-crust pie.
Prepare pastry and line pan.

1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Spread nuts evenly into the prepared pie shell

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
3 eggs

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs one at a
time, beating thoroughly after each addition.

1 tbsp. flour
1 cup light corn syrup
(I use Rogers Golden syrup)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt

Add flour, syrup, vanilla and salt, stirring until well blended.
Pour over pecans in pie pan.

1 cup pecan halves

Arrange the pecan halves decoratively on top of the mixture.
Bake in preheated 375° oven for 35 to 40 minutes until center
is set and crust is golden.
Cool on a wire rack.
Although delectable alone, this nut-filled pie is even better with
a dollop of softly whipped cream.


2 comments:

  1. I know Tanya! She's great. I used to work with her. Friesen Plastics is a preferred vendor where I work.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a mouth-watering blog! I want a piece of that pie right now!

    ReplyDelete