Friday, December 16, 2011

GINGERBREAD CHILDREN


How about this amazing troupe of gingerbread children !
The 'girls' are on order from my granddaughter Jodie .. the grandsons get the 'boys'.
Makes me tired just to think of time it took to create these darlings.


The dough is a breeze to mix  ... and exceptionally easy to work with ..
reminds me of working with quality play dough.


It doesn't break or crumble ... so the baking is easy as well.
After I was all done cutting out the 'boys', I realized I was not using
the matching 'girl - boy set'.
Oh well, there's always next year.


I give myself lots of time for the fun part ... turning plain cookies into little 
personalities.  If I add any chocolate to
the costume, I do that first.  I did a border of chocolate on the skirt hem,
a mitt on some of the hands and a little halo on the head.
That dries and sets in minutes.


The boys get to have chocolate trousers ... my grandsons will
not know what trousers are... but they will taste great.  I hope they notice the
cute patches I meticulously applied to the knee area on some.


GINGERBREAD CHILDREN

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar

Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.

1 cup molasses
1 tbsp. white vinegar

Heat molasses to almost boiling.  Pour over butter mixture.  Add
vinegar, mixing well.  Cool to lukewarm.

1 egg, beaten
4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
½ tsp. salt

Stir in beaten egg. 
Blend dry ingredients together; stir into molasses mixture to form
a soft dough.  Chill dough several hours or overnight.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to about ¼ inch thickness,
Cut with a floured gingerbread child cookie cutter.
Place on greased baking sheets.
Bake in preheated 350° oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until
edges are firm.  Do not over bake.
Remove to wire racks to cool.
Decorate as desired.

ROYAL ICING

1 tbsp. meringue powder
2 tbsp. cold water
1 cup powdered sugar

In a medium bowl, beat meringue powder and cold water with
electric mixer on medium speed until peaks form.  Gradually beat
in powdered sugar until soft peaks form, about 1 minute.
Spoon icing into decorating bag fitted with medium round tip, and
pipe over cookies.  Let stand about 5 minutes until icing is set.

No comments:

Post a Comment