Saturday, January 7, 2012

CHICKEN SOUP WITH BUCKWHEAT


This simple soup falls into an ethnic Hutterite food category.  We called it
'Grits soup', but it is really made with cracked buckwheat, not grits.
I don't know any other culture that makes it but it would be interesting to find out.
It was on the menu often when I was a child and I loved it as a comfort food.
Now that I am older and realize how important healthy grains are to my diet, it
appeals to me even more.  Would others like to give this a try?
My sister-in-law had never tasted it before she met my brother and now
it is one of her favorite soups.


Whole buckwheat is more readily available than cracked buckwheat
that I have pictured here, but you can purchase it at Superstore in Canada
and in bulk food or health stores.


The taste of this soup is definitely enhanced if you have a delicious
homemade chicken broth as the base.
Beat the egg with a fork and stir in the buckwheat.
Pour into the saucepan of simmering broth.


It expands as it cooks and the grain becomes soft but still chewy.


CHICKEN SOUP with BUCKWHEAT

1 egg
½ cup cracked buckwheat
4 to 5 cups chicken broth

Beat egg with a fork.  Add buckwheat and mix together.
Pour and stir buckwheat mixture into simmering broth.
Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Yield: 2 to 3 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment