Sunday, January 8, 2012

A FOREVER FEAST, MENTOR


Light and dark .... I see it differently than this bird that hangs around the yard.
I lived in a darkness of sorts during my teenage years. The future seemed
so unsure and frightening and I struggled to find my way. 
Experiences of rejection and criticism left me wounded ... emotions were scarred. 
Complex equations tumbling around in my head had no answers.
A grid of protection formed around my spirit as I tried to deal with my pain.  


I didn't seek her out ... she sought me.  For weeks her very presence had
made me glad.  She was decades older than I but she was not a mother.
 I longed to be a part of her life .. to be her granddaughter ... she seemed so wise.
The serene expression on her beautiful face mirrored her gracious spirit
...  love and radiance shone from her sparkling eyes.
I loved her from where I stood ... far away in a world of confusion.
She talked to me ... about difficult things.  I listened and wondered ...
how did she know?  I felt invaded but I needed guidance.
Did she know the gift that she was giving me that day?
I have no way of knowing.  I left her presence with a lighter
step .... full of hope.  The gift of encouragement flowed
from her lips ... and brightness beckoned.

My dearest Miss K. ... did you know you were walking on holy ground ..
a ministering angel sent from God to a hurting young woman?
Do you know how the verse of scripture you gave me has blessed
me all these years?  I wish that I could be more like you.

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear;
but of power and of love,
and of a sound mind.
11 Timothy 1:7 KJV





1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!! What a challenge for you and I to be reaching out to the same woman in our lives who are questioning. Thanks for posting such a beautiful tribute to the woman who reached out to you!! There is always someone before us and behind us. May God give us the courage to learn from the ones in front of us and to encourage the ones behind us!!! Dawn

    ReplyDelete