Monday, January 2, 2012

QUINOA AND VEGGIE STIR-FRY


For the first cooking post of 2012, I wanted to use an ingredient
that I had never tasted before.
I don't know why it took me so long to try Quinoa ... I had heard and
read so many good things about it and had some in my pantry for
quite some time waiting for the right moment.
I think I was a tad afraid of Quinoa because I had no idea how to
pronounce it.  Once I learned to say it with confidence the intimidation
disappeared.  You may have to say it out loud a few times.
Quinoa is pronounced keh-NO-ah or sometimes keen-wah.
I guess we get to pick the sound we like.


Quinoa has the most protein of any grain and is a great source of 
vitamins and minerals. 
Here it is ...my first experience with quinoa.
It will not be my last ... I love the taste and texture.
Notice the little white threads that curl around the cooked quinoa seeds.


This is an easy stir fry recipe that I made in a non-stick fry pan.
Start with 2 ½ to 3 cups veggies, chopped, sliced or diced.
Today I had carrots, celery, peppers, onions and garlic on hand.


I cooked the quinoa separately and added it to the veggies
at the last.  I couldn't wait for the first bite ... yummy ...
 extra good because it's so healthy.



QUINOA AND VEGGIE STIR-FRY

Prepare quinoa by stirring in water with your hand.  Carefully
pour off rinse water using a fine mesh strainer.

3/4 cup water or vegetable broth
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup quinoa

Measure water and salt into small saucepan.  Bring to a boil;
add quinoa and stir.  Cover with a tight fitting lid; reduce heat to simmer.
Cook for 15 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes.

1 to 2 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup chopped carrots
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup sliced red bell pepper
½ cup sliced yellow bell pepper
¼ cup sliced green onions
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. parsley flakes

Heat oil in large non-stick fry pan on medium.  Add vegetables
and stir-fry until vegetables are tender-crisp.
If you want vegetables to be more soft, add 2 tbsp. water; cover and
cook to the desired tenderness.
Add cooked quinoa; cook and stir-fry until heated through.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Makes about 4 cups







2 comments:

  1. I will be trying that shortly. We are on a Daniel fast for 21 days and I need something to eat other than salad. Sometimes I just want something hot. This sounds perfect. It's not flour, it's not sweet, and it's not green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a big bag of quinoa in my pantry waiting to be used! this sounds yummy!! eden makes a delicious vegetarian supper with quinoa, fresh garlic, sauted broccoli and cashews (i think that's all) anyway that's how i was first introduced to it and i love it. i've also had it cold in salads with lot's of veggies, beans and a vinaigrette dressing.
    wendy

    ReplyDelete