Tuesday, February 28, 2012

CHICKEN TORTELLINI SOUP


Tortellini can be purchased but I had fun making and shaping them
yesterday to use in this soup today.


I added the vegetables to a pot of chicken stock that I made
by cooking the bones of a roasted chicken that I bought
at the grocery store.  I used the meat in the tortellini I prepared.
This was an idea that I got from a cookbook that was gifted to me
at Christmas by my niece and I was pleased with the results.


The vegetables simmer in the broth until almost tender.


These were enough tortellini for the two batches of soup
I needed to make today.  It's convenient to able to make tortellini ahead of time
and freeze them for later use


As tortellini cook they expand and turn into a very edible morsel.
If you can call food 'cute', these would qualify.


CHICKEN TORTELLINI SOUP

6 cups chicken broth
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
½ cup diced celery
½ cup chopped onion
1 tsp. parsley flakes
½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, combine chicken broth, vegetables
and seasonings.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer
for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender crisp.

30 tortellini with chicken filling

Add tortellini to broth; bring to a boil.
Cover and simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until tortellini tests done.
Note: if using store bought tortellini, use 24 as they are larger in size
than the recipe I posted.
Yield: 4 to 5 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment