Thursday, February 23, 2012

POPPY SEED DRESSING


Come with me on a little tour of my friend Karen's cafe in Middlebury, IN. 
After a morning of shopping, my daughter, granddaughters and I
stopped here for lunch.


It is inviting, spacious and clean.  Best of all, another friend told
me that the food is as made-from-scratch as you can get
at a cafe.  She should know because she works there.


The cafe opens early for the breakfast crowd and closes in early
afternoon when the lunch guests have dined.  The kitchen is open
to observe the food preparation.


Homemade soups and sandwiches, salads, and a host of
freshly baked breads, desserts and pies are some of the items
on the extensive menu.


An impressive mural painted on one wall lends a sunny atmosphere
to a dining experience that was relaxing and enjoyable.


I chose a colorful healthy salad that was perfect with  poppy seed
dressing.  'This is a dressing I am going to try duplicate
when I get home', I told my daughter.  'Aunt Karen' came
to our table and we complimented her on the delicious lunch.
I had a special appreciation for the poppy seed dressing and she replied,
'it's your recipe!'
What a pleasant surprise!  She did make a slight change to my recipe
but that is her secret.  Here is my recipe.

POPPY SEED DRESSING

¼ cup sugar
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ mayonnaise
¼ tsp. ground mustard
¼ salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
6 tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
1 tsp. poppy seeds

In a blender, combine all ingredients except oil and poppy seeds.
Cover and process until blended.  While processing, gradually add
oil in a steady stream.  Blend until thick and creamy; pour into
container.  Stir in poppy seeds.  Store tightly covered
in refrigerator.
Yield: about 1 cup

Recipe on page 87, 'At Home in the Kitchen' cookbook.
I

1 comment:

  1. Mother dear, love your posts. Love your comments with the pictures. We miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete