Wednesday, March 7, 2012

COTTAGE MEATLOAF


I tried something new today that was the result of a new
 cookbook I got for Christmas.  The author enticed me to
ask my butcher to grind a chuck roast for hamburger.  She promised that
I would totally taste the difference in texture and freshness and that
I would be in for a treat.  I couldn't wait!


The butcher told me that a chuck roast is called a pot roast
in Canada.  So I chose a roast and he did the rest.
When I was handed the package it was obvious that it was not ordinary ground beef.
I used my own recipe to prepare the beef for a meatloaf.


The recipe calls for 2 pounds of beef, so I decided to make two
 loaves... one for the immediate and one for the freezer.
If the loaves are formed and baked in a baking pan instead of a loaf pan,
they brown nicely all the way around which I prefer.


Here it is ... a firm yet tender meatloaf.
It is hard to describe the difference except to say that the meat
tasted more solid ... like you were eating nothing but genuine meat.
It was delicious and I'm not sure I will ever want to go back to
regular ground beef. 

COTTAGE MEATLOAF

2 lbs. lean ground beef
(preferably fresh ground chuck roast)
½ cup milk
1½ cups soft bread crumbs
2 eggs, beaten with a fork
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ cup ketchup
1 tbsp. prepared mustard
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. garlic salt

In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except ground beef.
Crumble the beef over the mixture and mix until combined. 
Handle the mixture as little as possible to keep the final product
light in texture. Shape into two loaves
in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.  Or pat into two loaf pans.

¼ cup ketchup
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. prepared mustard

In a small mixing bowl, stir ketchup, sugar and mustard together
until blended.  Spread over meatloaf.
Bake uncovered in preheated 350° oven for 60 to 70 minutes
or until meat is not longer pink.  Let stand 5 minutes;
remove to serving platter.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment