Tuesday, March 20, 2012

UPSIDE-DOWN APPLE PECAN PIE


When I served this pie, the unanimous vote was a resounding
indorsement.  In all likelihood I will never make an old-fashioned
apple pie again because this one was clearly a winner.


I want to be making Spring types of food soon.  But first I had some apples
 that needed to be used and besides we had a dump of snow on
the weekend.  My daughter alerted me to this recipe which
starts with a wonderful caramel and pecan mixture in a pie pan.


And then the procedure is like a normal apple pie.


The pie will sit on top of the caramel layer and wonderful things
happen as it bakes.


Fold the top crust in half and place on the apples and unfold.


Make sure the edges are well sealed, crimped and fluted.
Baking the pie on lower oven rack is very important
so that the caramel does not scorch.


The thought of upsetting a lovely apple pie did not appeal to me
at first. That is really why I waited so long to try this recipe.


 I forgot all about my hesitation to do the
upside-down thing when I saw this beautiful round.


A slice of extra ordinary apple pie!  I had my piece with
vanilla ice cream ... scrumptious!

UPSIDE-DOWN APPLE PECAN PIE

¼ cup brown sugar, packed
1 tbsp. butter, melted
1 tbsp. corn syrup  (or Rodger's Golden)
½ cup pecan halves

Combine brown sugar, melted butter and corn syrup in 9-inch pie plate.
Spread evenly to coat bottom of pan. (warming the mixture in microwave
makes it easier to spread)  Arrange pecans over top.

Pastry for 9-inch two -crust pie
Place bottom pastry over mixture in pan, gently pressing onto nuts.

5 cups pared tart apples, thinly sliced
3/4 cup sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt

Stir together sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt; stir in apples.
Turn apple mixture into pastry-lined pan.  Cover with top pastry.
Trim edges, fold edge under bottom crust; seal and flute.
Cut slits to allow steam to escape.

1 - 2 tsp. cream
Brush top crust with cream.
Bake on lower oven rack in preheated 400° oven for 10 minutes, then
reduce temperature to 325° and bake for 25 to 35 minutes longer,
until crust is golden brown and apples are tender.
Let set for 5 minutes, then loosen edge of pie and carefully invert
onto serving plate.
Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.

Note: if desired, line pie pan with parchment paper before you add
the caramel /pecan mixture to make it easier to invert pie after baking.
It is a matter of preference because it worked well for me not to use
parchment paper.




No comments:

Post a Comment