Sunday, April 22, 2012

A FOREVER FEAST, WELCOME SPRING


'A meadowlark's song is like a stream of music being poured from
a pitcher.  The Western Meadowlark's trademark tune is the voice of
Alberta's grasslands, ringing from fence posts ... across the flat landscape
of Spring' .... from the authors of 'Birds of Alberta'... I could
not say it any better.
I was delighted that he sat long enough for me to hear and to
catch him on camera.


When I was a very small child, there was a tree growing just outside
our house and close to a window.  I remember a short swing tied to a low
branch as well as a perfect place under the boughs to dig in the dirt.
I loved that tree and never more so than several consecutive Springs
when I pressed my face against the window to watch my family of robins.
From the beginning of the building project to the baby blue eggs, to the nesting,
to the hatching and feeding, to the leaving .... I was there.
Year after year, in the exact same location ... the pair built their nest.
I watched for them ... and they came ... and they settled in ...until one Spring
... the tree was taken down.
Many more Springs came ... but they were not the same without my
tree and without my robins.
My love for robins which began so long ago ... lives on.
Their cheery song ... is like a song of praise.

"Shout with joy to God, all the earth!
Sing the glory of his name;
make his praise glorious!
Say to God," How awesome are your deeds!
All the earth bows down to you;
they sing praise to you,
they sing praise to your name."
Psalm 66: 1, 2, 4



No comments:

Post a Comment