Wednesday, May 2, 2012

LEMON POPPY SEED COOKIES


I was leafing through some of my cookbooks looking for
a simple cookie that would be quick to make and not too sweet.
My notes on this recipe said that they were very good .. soft in the
middle and a bit crisp on the outside.
They proved to be exactly that and just what I needed to
satisfy a little craving that I was feeling.


This recipe comes from a Hungarian tradition. 
It is a simple uncomplicated cookie comprised of basic
cookie dough with the addition of lemon zest and poppy seeds.


I like them equally well without any glaze however the
icing drizzle does make them look very pretty.

LEMON POPPY SEED COOKIES

2/3 cup sugar
½ cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
the grated rind of 1 lemon, about 1 tsp.
1¼ cups all -purpose flour
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. poppy seeds

In a mixing bowl, beat sugar and butter together until creamy.
Beat in egg and lemon peel.
Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture.
Stir in poppy seeds.
Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on
parchment-lined cookie sheet.
Bake in preheated 350° oven for 11 to 12 minutes or until
edges are lightly browned.  Let stand on cookie sheet for 1 minutes.
Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Glaze: Combine 2 tsp. lemon juice with ½ cup powdered sugar; mix well,
adding more sugar if needed for desired consistency.
Drizzle over cookies; let stand till glaze is set.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies





1 comment:

  1. Must get some lemons so I can try these. I think I'm following in your footsteps. Sometimes after a meal a bite of sweet would hit the spot.

    ReplyDelete