Sunday, June 3, 2012

A FOREVER FEAST, HERITAGE



 Chief mountain stands as a sentinel in the range of mountains
that rise in splendor clearly visible from my home.
I am not sure if that can be classed as part of my heritage
but this scene is as familiar and real as my growing up years.
Heritage and culture are on my mind this week as media drew attention
 to the National Geographic filming of a Hutterite colony in Montana.
As I watched segments of the documentary that are on line, I was swept
back in time to when I was a little girl growing up
in a small community in southern Alberta.


My readers may wonder how I evaluate the content in the films
in relation to my experiences in the setting where I lived.
I choose not to comment on the film coverage.
The pendulum swung throughout my life and the way I was shaped
 by the community and culture that is part of my heritage.
On this Sunday post I want to dwell on the positive
 values I learned at home.
In my opinion the individual home shapes the family in any culture.
Even in a Hutterite community where there is so much closeness,
the parents determine the health and general character of the home.
My parents did not parent perfectly but I felt loved and appreciated.
At home is where I was taught to live a disciplined life.
At home is where I developed a conscience between right and wrong.
At home is where I learned to speak respectfully and courteously to
my superiors. 
At home is where I was introduced to God.
And that has been of infinite and eternal value.

.... Continue in what you have learned,
and have become convinced of,
because you know those from whom you learned it,
and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures,
which are able to make you
wise for salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.
II Tim. 3: 14-15. NIV







2 comments:

  1. Ruth Ann StelfoxJune 4, 2012 at 8:43 AM

    My memories of home are precious...thank you for a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete