Wednesday, June 27, 2012

RASPBERRY RHUBARB MUFFINS


Are there members of your family that like the amazing top half of a muffin?
I have some dear grandchildren that are into that preference.
And why not?  That's usually where the crunchy topping resides!
The bottom half tends to be more dry.
I purchased a whoopie-pie baking pan that I hoped would
be the perfect solution to the top-half dilemma.
Today I put it to the test with a recipe that makes 18 muffins.


Raspberries and chopped rhubarb are added to the egg, oil
and buttermilk mixture.  The dry ingredients are mixed in until moistened.


Pictured in the back is the normal muffin pan with 10 spaces filled.
That left enough batter to fill 12 half-cups of the whoppie-pie pan.
A sprinkle of brown sugar and cinnamon provides the crunchy topping.


I am so pleased with this pan even though it is not dishwasher safe.
The muffin is all and more than I expected.  And yes,
the top half is amazing!  Which means I can have two
tops for the same price (in calories) as one!
I will be using this pan over and over.


Raspberries and rhubarb shine in these muffins
so the bottom is just as good as the top!
Good news for those of us who are not
as fussy about tops.


RASPBERRY RHUBARB MUFFINS

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1¼ cups packed brown sugar
1¼ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt

Blend dry ingredients mixing well; set aside.

½ cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1¼ cups buttermilk
1¼ cups chopped rhubarb
1 cup raspberries
1/3 cup brown sugar
½ tsp. cinnamon

Whisk together oil, egg and buttermilk in a large mixing bowl.
Stir in raspberries and chopped rhubarb.
Add dry ingredients mixing thoroughly until moistened.
Spoon batter into greased or paper-lined muffin pans.
Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle on muffins.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
Note: I baked the shallow muffins for 20 minutes and the remaining 10 muffins
for 25 minutes.
Yield: 18 regular muffins.



5 comments:

  1. just saw you book on Hutt-Write-Voice site and gained 5 LB looking at the wonderful pictures. I wish there were more books that would have a diabetic version. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello There, yes, this would be the place to leave your comment for the giveaway! Thanks for stopping by our blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopped over from Linda's blog (Hutt Write Voice), glad I did! These look delicious. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a copy of your fabulous cookbook that I won from you from Suzanne Woods Fisher's talk radio show and it is everything I hoped it would be - great recipes and wonderful pictures. If I would win, I would give it to my sister-in-law, a fellow cookbook lover. The recipe above looks great - I think it's funny that so many people say they don't like rhubarb and yet anything I've made with it, there have been no complaints. I think finding a good way to use it is key and desserts are always a hit. Thanks for sharing ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. i adore rhubarb!
    and this combo w/ raspberries sounds perfect!
    had a slice of pie combining these two the other day at a local cafe and it truly said 'summer' to me :)

    thanks for the cool tip on the whoopie pan! will look for that as well... great insider info from someone who knows her kitchen ") TY!

    Looking forward to more from your writing and creating this Canadian cookbook treat!

    ReplyDelete