Wednesday, June 13, 2012

RHUBARB SLAB PIE


I came to point of decision this morning quite abruptly, after
preparing for another rhubarb recipe.  It was one I had not tried before
and for some reason I needed to know what the end product would 
taste like.  So I switched pans and amounts and quickly started on a
slab pie that I knew was mouth-watering.  Today I was trying the
recipe using rhubarb instead of the usual apple filling.
I was very excited at the prospect. 


Rhubarb may be over in some parts of the country but mine is
growing well in the cool weather we are having.
I cleaned and diced it last evening so it was ready for today.
The butter and flour mixture is pulsed in the food processor and
scraped into a mixing bowl.  Whisk egg yolks and sour cream
and stir into the flour mixture.


The ratio of wet and dry is the perfect amount to make a smooth
ball of dough which I refrigerated for about an hour.


 A pizza roller is a great tool to roll out the dough for the
bottom crust.


I switched to my regular rolling pin to roll out the top crust.
The weight of the heavy roller is more suitable in rolling the
dough to the size and thickness I needed.


Rhubarb is so Spring ... and colorful ... and tart!
Spread the rhubarb filling evenly on the bottom crust.
I like to use tapioca for the thickening.


Starting at one end of the top crust pastry, carefully roll the pastry
onto the rolling pin.  Unroll over the rhubarb mixture.


I forgot to take a pre-bake picture but you can see the air slits
and the fork imprints that seals the edges.  Brushing the crust with
a beaten egg white before baking gives it the beautiful contrast in color.


The crust looks light and flaky ... baked to a golden perfection.


I could not wait to finish the photography so I could sit down
for an afternoon tea and dessert break. 
A scoop of vanilla ice cream sent it over the top!


Think pastry ... think flaky ... think German ... think fabulous!


RHUBARB SLAB PIE

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup butter or margarine
½ cup sour cream
2 egg yolks

Cut butter into flour using a food processor or pastry blender
Whisk together sour cream and egg yolks, stir into flour mixture.
Gather dough into a ball and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.

3/4 to 1 cup sugar
¼ cup instant tapioca (OR 3 tbsp. flour)
¼ tsp. cinnamon
4 to 5 cups cut-up fresh rhubarb

Stir all together; set aside.

Divide dough in half.  Roll bottom pastry directly in 10 x 15-inch
rimmed baking sheet.  Spread rhubarb mixture on pastry leaving
½ inch pastry exposed on sides.
For top crust, outline 10 x 15-inch rectangle on sheet of waxed paper.
Turn paper over, dust lightly with flour and roll pastry to fit outline.
Cut slits in uniform diagonal pattern.
Carefully roll top pastry onto rolling pin and unroll over
rhubarb layer.  Seal edges with a fork.

Beat one egg white; brush over pastry.
Bake in preheated 375° oven for 30 to 35 minutes or
until golden brown.  While still warm, drizzle with glaze.
Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Glaze: Blend 1 cup powdered sugar with 2 tbsp. milk and ½ tsp. vanilla
until smooth and of drizzling consistency, adding more milk if needed.

Yield: 12 servings


3 comments:

  1. Think I could disguise this so John wouldn't know it was rhubarb?? Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! My mouth is watering now! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I was just wondering where I could buy one of your cookbooks? Your recipes all look so good and turn out amazing every time! :)

    ReplyDelete