Thursday, July 12, 2012

CHOCOLATE SYRUP


When I was a child I was not restricted as far as sugar goes.
We ate lots of vegetables and fruit as well as meat but we also had
 a serving of dessert several times a week.
I remember my favorite Cadbury Caramilk chocolate bar that I
had now and again except for Christmas time when I had more than
enough.  So with that in mind, I don't know why there were
restrictions on icings.  Perhaps it was because there was just
enough icing for the cake with none to spare.
I wanted to eat icing ... or at least sample enough to make
it worthwhile.  The remainders on a spoon or inside the
bowl were never enough.
On Sunday afternoons when noon meal was over and the adults
had retired to their homes for naps,
some of us would sneak in to the farm kitchen and cook up some of our
very own icing to enjoy with no limits
Even though we cleaned up after ourselves and left not a trace of
evidence .. the smell lingered and gave it all away.


One day I was telling my little niece the story of the Sunday afternoon
candy ritual.  Along with the story I did a live presentation
as best as I could remember the event.
A little sugar and a bit of cocoa ... stir in some cream ...boil on the stove ..
 cool .. and we had ourselves some candy to lick.  It was so good that
I did some actual measurements and came up with
an excellent chocolate syrup that is delicious on ice cream.
To begin sift cocoa through a sieve to remove tiny lumps.


Stir the sugar, cocoa and cream together in a saucepan.
Stir over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil.


After it is boiled,  place pan into a container of cold water.
Add vanilla and stir until the syrup is thick.
This is so simple it sounds too good to be true. 
 The fact that I can make a small amount
instead of having to purchase a big bottle is a plus.
However, the biggest plus is the pure taste with no additives!
It is very delicious on its own but one could get carried away
with a spoon.  Instead just drizzle some onto vanilla ice cream
with fresh raspberries ... yum!

CHOCOLATE SYRUP

½ sugar
2 tbsp. cocoa
½ cup whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine sugar, cocoa and cream in a small saucepan.
Stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.
Continue cooking and stirring for 5 minutes.
Transfer saucepan into a shallow container of cold water.
Add vanilla and stir unil cool and thickened.
Refrigerate until needed.
Enjoy with ice cream or as a topping for brownies.




No comments:

Post a Comment