Tuesday, July 24, 2012

NUTELLA CARAMEL PECAN BARS


I saw this recipe on Tasty Kitchen and since it has so many of
my favorite addicting ingredients I had to give them a try.
They are very yummy and quite rich so I cut them in small pieces
to savor sparingly and to freeze.


A tender shortbread forms the base and is all mixed by hand
after the butter is beaten.


Tap the crumbs onto a parchment-lined baking pan.


The crust is pre-baked and spread with Nutella while it
is still warm.


The recipe calls for a generous 3/4 cups of nutella which I used.
However I plan to reduce that to 2/3 cup next time to
cut back on the sweetness. 


A mixture of pecans, coconut, caramel and eggs make up the
topping.  And back into the oven it goes.


After cooling, lift out of the pan and peel back the sides.
At this point I scraped the sides and had my first taste.
I hurried with the pictures so I could have a real
sample ... so yummy.  I couldn't stop with one.


They are very good warm but I liked them even better
when they were cold from the fridge.


NUTELLA CARAMEL PECAN BARS

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup powdered sugar
¼ tsp. salt

Sift dry ingredients together; set aside.
A sieve works fine if you don't have a sifter.

½ cup butter, softened

In a mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy.  Add half of the flour
mixture and stir until almost combined.  Add remaining flour and
stir just until combined.  Press crumbs into a parchment-lined
8 x 8-inch baking pan.  Bake in preheated 300° oven for
20 minutes until dry on top but not golden or browned.

1 egg
½ cup brown sugar, packed
¼ cup caramel sauce*
(*use salted caramel sauce if desired)
2/3 cup flaked coconut
2/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
3/4 cup Nutella

Beat egg, brown sugar and caramel sauce together.
Stir in coconut and pecans.
After crust is baked, remove from oven and carefully spread
with Nutella while it is still hot.  Pour pecan mixture
over top.  Return to oven and continue to bake for
20 to 25 minutes until set and golden brown.
Cool on a wire rack.  Remove from pan and peel back
parchment.  Cut into bars and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment