Sunday, August 5, 2012

A FOREVER FEAST, HUMMINGBIRD MOTH


Hummingbird moths are one of natures delights.  I was totally
mystified the first time I spotted this little creature.  It darted
here and there in the petunias moving at the speed and
style of a real hummingbird.  I looked for feathers that day
and couldn't see any.  How could something be so like a
hummingbird and not be one?  I was baffled to say the least.
This evening I spied the first one of the season and ran for my camera
because I knew what it was.  It enjoyed my flowers for quite some time,
hovering and feeding.  The wings stopped buzzing only 
after it settled on the flower it had chosen to feed from.


I could get quite close to it and took many pictures but it
was too speedy for my shutter.  My eyes took in more than
I could get with my camera.  I was able to see the tube
 or siphon it uses to get at the nectar and it looked to be
about an inch long.  This moth may not be as colorful as
a hummingbird but I am fascinated by the similarity to the
bird.  I will be watching for it again tomorrow evening.

Who knoweth not in all these
that the hand of the Lord
hath wrought this?
In whose hand is the soul
of every living thing,
and the breath of all mankind.
Job 12:9-10 KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment