Monday, August 6, 2012

ALMOND CHERRY TARTS


I couldn't decide if I should call this a Viennese tart or go with
the more descriptive Almond Cherry Tart.  Anne of Green Gables
would have chosen the Viennese name, I believe, since it sounds so
poetic and fancy ... for a high Tea.   Either way it is
a delicious morsel that was so much fun to make.


These were the pans I used ... both shallow and one a tad
larger than the other.  The round cutters are 3-inch and
2½-inch.


Instead of a rich pastry I chose to use a dough that was
easier to work with when it is rolled out.
I found it to be rich enough and scrumptious.


I was generous with the cherry jam that I made from Bing cherries that
grew along the Flathead lake near Bigfork, Montana.  I chose
cherry jam but any thick jam will work -- plum, apricot, raspberry
or blueberry for instance.  It all depends on one's preference.


The jam is covered with a cake-like mixture that I was supposed
to spread to cover the jam.  My dough was a might too stiff to
do that and I did not mind if some jam peaked out.
However, if I want the jam covered next time, I will add a few
drops of milk to the mixture.


The dark non-stick pans definitely bake the crusts more quickly and
I had to watch carefully to make sure they weren't over browning.


I really love these dainty ones baked in the lighter pan.
They slipped out of the pan without any problem.


Fabulous with a cup of tea!


The sun is shining directly on my outdoor thermometer so
I know it is not accurate ... it reads 110°F.
It is very hot so I will have an iced lemon tea.


ALMOND CHERRY TARTS

½ cup butter, softened
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
½ cup granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
½ tsp. vanilla
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

Beat butter, cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla
until light and fluffy.  Gradually mix in the flour.
(I used my food processor for this step)
On a lightly floured surface or parchment paper, roll out half
of the dough to ¼ inch thickness.  With a round cookie cutter,
cut into desired size and line shallow tart pans.
Continue with the remaining pastry.
This amount of dough make 12 ... 3-inch rounds and
18 ... 2½-inch rounds.

6 tbsp. butter
1/3 cup berry sugar or white sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. finely grated lemon rind
½ tsp. vanilla
7/8 cup all purpose flour*
*(7/8 cup is 1 cup minus 2 tbsp.)
1 tsp. baking powder
dash of salt
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. milk
thick jam of fill bottom of tart shell
a handful of flaked almonds

Cream butter and sugar; gradually blend in sugar.  Add beaten
egg, lemon rind and vanilla.
Blend flour, baking powder and salt.  Add 1/3 flour mixture to
creamed mixture with lemon juice and mix well.
Add next 1/3 flour mixture to creamed mixture with milk,
mixing well.  Add remaining flour.
(I used a food processor for this step as well)

Place a dollop of jam in the bottom of each tart shell.  The size
of the dollop will depend on the size of the tart ... a teaspoon..
more or less.
Over the jam, drop a spoonful of the tart batter.
Or use a small cookie scoop. Spread batter to cover the jam.
Sprinkle some flaked almonds over top.
Bake in preheated 350° oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until lightly browned.
Watch carefully during the last 5 minutes to make sure they
are not over browning.
Yield: about 30 mini tarts




No comments:

Post a Comment