Friday, August 24, 2012

CRUNCHY GRANOLA BAR


Last October I posted a recipe for Fruit and Nut Granola bars.
I made a few changes to the recipe that I felt deserved
a new post.  Adding peanut butter and crisp rice cereal
gave the bars a fresh new flavor and soft crunch.


The ingredient list is open to personal favorites.
Here is an assortment of dried fruit, seeds, grain and nuts.


A warm syrup mixture with peanut butter is the binding agent.


Pack into a 9 x 13 -inch baking pan.


Wrap and refrigerate ... enjoy whenever you crave a snack.


CRUNCHY GRANOLA BAR

1 cup rolled oats (quick-cooking)
½ cup crisp rice cereal
1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
1/3 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
¼ cup sesame seeds, toasted
¼ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
¼ cup  flax seed
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup dried apricots, chopped

On a parchment-lined cookie sheet, toast rolled oats in 350° oven for
10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour into a large mixing bowl.
Continue toasting almonds, coconut, sunflower, sesame and pumpkin seeds
in batches. Times will vary but most will take approximately 5 minutes.
Watch the coconut carefully as the moment of browning seems
to happen in an instant.
Reduce oven to 300°.

½ cup maple or golden syrup
3 tbsp. sunflower or coconut oil
¼ cup brown sugar, packed
¼ cup peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. salt

Combine syrup, oil, sugar, peanut butter, vanilla and salt in medium saucepan.
Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Combine oats, rice cereal,
nuts,seeds and fruit.  Pour warm syrup mixture over oat mixture
and stir until mixed. 
Spread granola into a parchment-line 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.
Place a piece of waxed paper on top and press down with a metal
spatula to pack evenly.
Bake for 25 minutes; remove from oven and allow to cool
completely in the pan for several hours.
Cut into bars.  Wrap and store in airtight container or freeze.
Yield: 16 bars (1 ½ x 3 - inches)




3 comments:

  1. I am addicted to these bars Judy! I love them and yes, i agree that they are even better with the peanut butter. They are a perfect afternoon snack! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Char,
    I agree, .. they are addicting. I try to have some on hand at
    all times because I never know when that craving will hit.
    So much better than junk food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm craving one right now but when I go to the fridge I can't find any!! Where is my mother's fridge when I need it?

    ReplyDelete