Thursday, August 16, 2012

SNICKERDOODLES


What a novel name for an old-fashioned cookie with crispy
edges and chewy centers!


Two easy steps brings you to a soft dough that is easy to handle.


Scoop out the dough if you want to have evenly-sized cookies.
Roll into balls to compact the dough.
Or use your hands for the whole procedure and wing the size.


Roll in the sugar-cinnamon mixture and place on baking sheet.


The cookies rise and puff beautifully before they settle down
and become good old snickerdoodles.


If you enjoy a soft-center cookie, do not overbake.
Watch carefully or they will be crisp.


SNICKERDOODLES

1½ cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs

In a mixing bowl, cream sugar and oil together.  Add eggs and
beat until light and fluffy.

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt

Blend dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture; mix
until well combined.

2 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon

Blend sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
Shape dough into 1-inch balls using a cookie scoop or hands.
Roll in sugar/cinnamon mixture and place 2 inches apart on
parchment-lined or ungreased baking sheet.
Bake in preheated 350° oven for 10 to 12 minutes
or until lightly golden.
Yield: 3½ dozen cookies

4 comments:

  1. These look so yummy! And I love the name, Snickerdoodles! Is that something you made up? (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really good!! And no, I cannot take the credit for the name ... cute isn't it? Back east where my daughters live, they pop up all over the place.
      Can't imagine that this is the first time I have tried them.

      Delete
  2. I have never made these. They are so going on my to do list! Thanks, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, these were a first for me as well. I'm pretty sure you will like them a lot. My great niece, age 4, had a nibble tonight ... she is rather fussy about cookies ..usually refuses.
      Her comment was, ' I love the cinnamon and sugar', and promptly ate two.
      These cookies have been around for a long time ... just got missed by me.

      Delete