Sunday, September 16, 2012

A FOREVER FEAST, NOT YOUR OWN


Who owns the birds?
Do birds think?  Did this beautiful hawk wonder as he gazed
down at me?  He tolerated me coming so far but no farther until
he took off.


 I had to point my camera through the window to get a picture
 of this elegant brown thrasher.  The instinct is to leave rather than be
in harms way ... but he couldn't see me on the other side of the glass.


My window is a perfect shield ... the birds are not aware
that I am there ... and I can watch and enjoy.
This chipping sparrow is sweet!


Ready for action ... and what a busy time for this
robin who has some pressing needs to take care of.


Here in this small tree and not far off the ground is the perfectly
camouflaged family that kept the parents hopping.


One of my favorite birds is the fearless eastern kingbird who
will attack a much bigger bird that threatens its young.


Feeding time for little kingbirds was a noisy affair ..
their demands were loud and constant.
There was no guessing as to their location on the yard.


I had to look twice at a meadow lark perched on one leg.
Was he resting one leg or is one leg missing?


Is this shorebird out of its comfort zone?  Intent on taking
the picture of the bird on a post rather than by the lake,
 I have not identified it.


A showy visitor ..the northern flicker ..
listening intently as I tried to sneak up on it.
In recent days a loud rapid bird call alerted me to their presence.
I had not heard the sound all summer and perhaps they
are just passing through.  At any rate I have loved the sightings
and spent a while trying to capture the beautiful marking on this bird.


It moves so fast as it bobs up and down in the grass stopping
only to listen for intruders.


Trying to stay perfectly still beside a large tree, I got to observe
 the varied designs on the feathers of this beautiful woodpecker.


I like to look into their eyes ... what are they watching for?
I would like to convey that I would not hurt them in any way.


This unique species is marked by special colors and design ..
 contour and shape ...  habits and behavior ...
and yet they have to abide by an inner sense that
governs every movement and their very existence.
In a way I could say they are not their own.
They owe their lives to another being much greater than themselves.
Is that also true of myself?
I was blessed by a recent sermon titled, 'Not Your Own'.
I belong to GOD!  How awesome is that!

Do you not know that your body is a
temple of the Holy spirit,
who is in you,
whom you have received from God?
You are NOT YOUR OWN;
you were bought with a price.
Therefore honor God with your body.
1 Cor. 6: 19 - 20 NIV



1 comment:

  1. Now this is just beautiful! "You are awesome God!"

    ReplyDelete