Wednesday, September 26, 2012

BAKED OATMEAL


Texture .. texture .. texture .. that has been a lifelong struggle
for me.  Porridge falls into that troublesome category so
imagine the delight when I discovered baked oatmeal!
Not served with milk but rather some luscious fruit!


It is very simple to make .. gather the ingredients and
mix them all up.


Spoon into prepared pan and smooth with a fork.


Bake to a golden brown and there you have it ... a nice
barely moist cereal square.
 It is not necessary to line the baking
pan with parchment.  I like to do it because it is easy to lift
out of the pan and cut into pieces.  I wrap some to freeze
for future breakfasts.


The sign said that this was the second to the last trip
for the fruit truck coming from the Okanagan Valley in BC.
That was all I needed to convince me to buy some fresh peaches.
That and the fact they were large and a vibrant color.


My father always thought that a peach that was dark red around
the stone had a more intense flavor .. I think he was right.


Besides loading my slice of baked oatmeal with freshly
sliced peaches, I drizzled it with chokecherry syrup for added
flavor.  Chokecherries grow wild in the coulees of southern Alberta. 
They are intensely bitter until they are fully ripe or have been bitten
by a frost.  My niece picked some for me when she was out
riding and I turned them into something very delicious.

BAKED OATMEAL

3/4 cup brown sugar
½ cup butter or margarine, melted
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
3 cups quick-cooking oats

In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, butter and eggs; beat together
thoroughly.  Add milk, baking powder, vanilla and salt; mix well.
Stir in oats until well blended.
Pour into parchment-lined or greased 9 x 9 - inch baking pan
or 1½ - quart casserole.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven
for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch.
Serve with fresh fruit  .... or
serve warm with milk.
Yield: 6 servings

3 comments:

  1. I am not an oatmeal porridge eater and as this was what we ate every morning during the cold winter months growing up in Saskatchewan, I learnt to jump out of bed and head off to school within 10 minutes... not enough time to eat breakfast :). this sounds good and I think it is something that I could maybe eat. I am sure my husband will eat it as he is an oatmeal eater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marlys, I can relate ... oatmeal porridge was on the breakfast menu during the cold winter months in Alberta as well. I do not care for porridge but I enjoy baked oatmeal. Give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, I did make your baked oatmeal with a few minor changes... It was great ~ although my husband really didn't enjoy it too much. Here is the link if you want to see what minor changes I made http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com/2012/10/i-dont-like-porridge.html

    ReplyDelete