Sunday, November 25, 2012

A FOREVER FEAST, HOME AGAIN


I am back home once again .. to Alberta sunsets and
temperatures that vary with every passing day.
After a vacation that I didn't want to end, I am finally
reappearing on my blog spot.


October is a beautiful time to be in the east.
The trees are in their autumn garb and here I saw some
tiny apples still hanging on.


Hurricane Sandy made landfall while I was in NY.
Water jugs were filled and flashlights recharged but all
we experienced of the storm were grey clouds, fierce wind
and lots of rain. Any leaves left on the trees were gone overnight.


My intentions were to blog now and again but
other things took precedence.
I think all Grandmothers can understand.
How could I say no to the invitation to sit down with a sketch
book and  draw with my eldest grandson?
I was satisfied with my bird but his drawings are much better.


How could I pass up the chance to watch my middle grandson
come flying by on his bike on the way to popping a wheelie
as he comes over the rise?  This is the same grandson that seems
to know when I've retired to my room in the evening.  He plops
down on the bed with his request, 'Gram, can you tell me a story?'


What a perfect day to be outside in the sunshine and run off
some of that energy.  Up the tree goes the youngest for
a flying leap to the trampoline.  This young man loved to appear at
my side with the 'Connect-4' game most likely because he
knew he would beat.  It's easy to lose to someone
who beams with a shy grin rather than a shout of victory.
(I did win once or twice)


When I arrived in NY, I knew very little about the game of football,
other than it was a rough and tough sport.
The night before the game I had the boys draw a sketch of a
football field and give me a crash course on the rules of play.
I had my eyes on three numbers that day and I learned a lot.
It was exciting to be at their last game and see a
trophy presentation to one of my grandsons.


I never said no to a little girl who sought me out,
pointed to her favorite book and made herself comfortable on my
lap.  I learned to spy 'duck' on every page almost as quickly as she could.


Did I spend time in the kitchen?  Oh, yes!  My daughter Bev is a
great cook which is fortunate for her husband and boys and daughter
love to eat.  For snacks she tries to have lots of apples and
other fruit on hand.  So when Gram comes, she makes desserts.
I introduced them to pumpkin whoopie pies and upside-down apple
pie.  I made pumpkin pie and banana bread.
The birthday boy requested hamburger soup and cornbread for the meal
with raspberry swirl cheesecake for dessert.


All seven grandchildren were here for the party which had
a football theme. My daughter Karen, mother to three girls
decorated the cheesecake with chocolate football filigree.


October is the earliest I have ever made peppernuts.
It was by request and I took them with me thinking they
 would last until Christmas.
Not the way the grandchildren love them!


This beautiful bird was scrounging around in the remnants of
my daughter's garden in Indiana.  My eyes are drawn
to that brilliant red and black mask.


Christmas season is coming and the maple leaves that fell
on the pine boughs reminded me that it is that time of year again.
Thanksgiving is over in Canada and the United States ..
how blessed I feel for all that God has given me.
I am not thinking of material things although they are ample..
I think especially of my loved ones ... how unique each one is ..
how much I love them ... and how thankful I am to be a part
of their lives.

'The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are glad.'
Psalm 126:3  NKJV

4 comments:

  1. No more grateful than I am to have such an incredible mother and for my children to have a wonderful, loving Grami!! Thanks for coming to visit us, and for all the special things you do for us when you're here and throughout the year! We love you and miss you; please come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Home, dear!! Great pictures! But my favourite is the one with you and a little girl reading. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Judy - just recently I realized it had been a while since you had posted and was wondering if everything was okay! Glad to see your pictures of what looks like a wonderful family time. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was just beautiful! A real glimpse into the lives of your grandchildren! Thanks for posting...it's about time...we missed you! :)

    ReplyDelete