Saturday, December 1, 2012

MUSHROOM BITES


I have been rushing about this week trying to work on my
list of things that HAD to get done.  This coming week my friend
and I are baking cheesecakes for a wedding so I will be busy
 getting organized.
I made time to bake some tiny appetizers that are easy and delicious
especially if you enjoy mushrooms.
The filling can be made ahead and frozen which means you can
make a fresh appetizer on short notice.


The base for the cups is a small piece of bread in a tiny muffin pan.
I used homemade honey wheat bread and also bread that was
store-bought.  Can you guess which ones were more tasty?


I took them to a gathering and these bite-sized edibles
disappeared very quickly.

MUSHROOM BITES

3 tbsp. butter or hard margarine
2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion

1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. parsley flakes
1 egg
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. ground oregano

Saute` mushrooms and onion in butter until soft.
Stir in next seven ingredients.  Set aside.

12 slices white or brown bread
butter for spreading
3 yellow cheese slices

Trim crust off bread slices.  Roll each slice lightly with a rolling pin
to flatten.  Butter slices and cut each into 4 squares.
Press, buttered side up, into tiny muffin tins.
Fill with mushroom mixture using about 1½ tsp. for each one.
Cut yellow cheese slice into 16 small squares.
Place 1 square on top of each cup.
Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Yield: about 4 dozen tiny appetizers.




No comments:

Post a Comment