Tuesday, January 22, 2013

FRENCH BREAD




I am back at long last!
If these pictures and text are not set up quite right,
it's because I am not adept at the new program
I have had to learn to use.
Last year I could just click away and get the photos loaded
and place the text without any problem.
But in this new year nothing worked the same and I had
to get help.
I owe a big thanks to my niece for her guidance.








I baked some lovely French bread which I am excited to share with you.
There is nothing magical about the dough ..
it is a basic white bread dough.


I chose to make two smaller loaves and one large loaf.
When I make two large loaves I usually place them both
on one baking sheet.
Since I made three loaves I needed two baking sheets.

                                               After the dough is rolled out into a rectangle,
it is rolled up tightly beginning at the long end.

I love the shape of French bread and I quite like
making the diagonal slashes with a sharp knife.
It certainly breaks up the monotony of a plain crust.

The master loaf rose higher and higher.
I had to find a cool spot for it while the
small loaves were baking.

What can compare to the aroma and taste of a perfect
loaf of homemade French bread?

FRENCH BREAD

2 pkgs. dry yeast
½ cup warm water
1 tsp. sugar

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in  warm water.

1 cup warm milk
1 cup warm water
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. butter or margarine, softened
6 to 6½ cups all-purpose flour

In a large mixing bowl, combine milk, water, egg, sugar, salt and butter.
Add yeast and 4 cups of flour; beat until smooth.  Mix in enough remaining
flour to make a dough that is easy to handle.
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic.
Place into a lightly oiled bowl; turning once to oil surface.  Cover and let rise
in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.  Punch dough down and let rise
again until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
Divide dough in half and let rest 5 minutes.
Roll each half into rectangle, 14 x 9 inches.  Roll up tightly, beginning at long
side; seal edges and fold under.  Place seam side down on greased or
parchment-lined baking sheet.  Cut several shallow diagonal slashes in top
of each loaf with a sharp knife.  Let rise until light, about 1 hour.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until deep 
golden brown.  Remove from sheet and cool on wire rack.
Yield: 2 loaves

8 comments:

  1. Glad to have you back, Judith! I love French bread and yours looks delicious!
    You will have to tell me about this new program you're working with now. Those Blogger issues are a real pain at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pleasure to be back, thank you! Would you believe the day after I learn a new way to load pictures, the BROWSE button reappears! I am back to my old ways. You are right, blogger issues can be a pain.

      Delete
  2. You've been missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I missed blogging although I was very busy cooking for my company. I made lots of our old favorites that I had already blogged. I like to try the new recipes when I am by myself.

      Delete
  3. glad you're back!! i missed your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the comments from my readers! Thank you very much. It is good to reconnect.

      Delete
  4. So glad you're back & okay! The French bread looks delicious. Warm French bread with butter on these frigid days~MMMMMM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks .. good to be back. The bread was yummy! I had a warm slice with butter and raspberry jam..mmm. The large loaf went with a pot of soup and cinnamon twists to my cousin Ellie who is busy as a beaver with all her children and a husband who fell all over himself on the ice and broke his wrist. So nice to be able to share.

      Delete