Thursday, January 31, 2013

HUMMINGBIRD CAKE


During all of my lengthy cooking journey, this is the first
Hummingbird cake I've made. I saw the recipe many times
and was drawn to the rather unusual name for a cake.
But I couldn't see any connection between birds and cake.
Now that I've tasted it perhaps I can link the sweet taste of the
cake to the sweet tasting nectar that hummingbirds love.


An easy cake to make ... no mixer needed ... only two bowls, one
for the wet ingredients and one for the dry.
Bananas, pineapple and pecans are the ingredients
that give the cake it's rich flavor and texture.


On this occasion I frosted the layers with a plain cream cheese
frosting.  For the outside I made ½ batch of
Salted Caramel Frosting which is on yesterday's post.
This is a large-size cake to make for a crowd.
My guests loved it!


HUMMINGBIRD CAKE

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. salt

Blend dry ingredients in large mixing bowl; set aside.

2 cups finely chopped bananas
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup crushed pineapple, undrained
3 eggs, beaten
1½ tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted

Combine bananas, oil, pineapple, eggs and vanilla; stir together until
blended.  Add to dry mixture and stir until mixed.
Fold in nuts.
Divide batter between three round 9-inch parchment-lined
baking pans.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes
or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool.  Fill and frost with Salted Caramel Frosting or
Cream Cheese Frosting.



No comments:

Post a Comment