Friday, February 15, 2013

ITALIAN WEDDING SOUP WITH CHICKEN MEATBALLS


Today was a perfect day to cook up a hearty pot of soup
 for the evening meal. Not that it was freezing cold or anything like that.
At 5 o'clock my thermometer read 48 degrees F!
 I had to step out to the neighbors to
borrow a couple slices of bread for the meatballs and the
wind seemed much colder in my face so comfort food was in order.
Yes, I had to borrow bread ... so glad I have close neighbors!


I decided to try chicken meatballs instead of my usual
beef and was delighted with the variation.  As you can tell
the meatballs are not perfectly round which is just fine.  The chicken
mixture is too soft to roll which means it goes so much faster
just to drop the meat and bake as is.


The dill was from last summer's garden, frozen in a ziplock
bag.  So I cheated but the flavor was like fresh.
I kept watching the simmering pot with anticipation ..
the soup did not disappoint!


ITALIAN WEDDING SOUP WITH CHICKEN MEATBALLS

1 egg
½ cup bread crumbs
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. parsley flakes
2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. milk
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 lb. ground chicken

In a mixing bowl, beat egg lightly with a fork.  Add remaining ingredients
except chicken; stir together to blend.
Gently mix in ground chicken with a fork.  Drop 1 inch meatballs using
a teaspoon or cookie scoop onto a  parchment-lined baking pan.
Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Set aside.

5 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup diced carrots
½ cup celery, thinly sliced
½ cup chopped onion
2 tbsp. white cooking wine
½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
½ cup orzo or other small pasta

In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, bring broth to a boil. Add vegetables,
wine and seasonings; simmer for 5 minutes. Add pasta and continue to cook for
6 to 8 minutes or until pasta is tender.

1 tbsp. minced fresh dill
2 cups fresh spinach

Add dill and meatballs to soup and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in spinach, whole leaves or sliced according to preference.
Cook just until spinach is wilted; serve.
Yield: 4 to 5 servings 




1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! Judy, I still think you're a good candidate for an author feature on my blog. Doesn't have to be a long winded thing. Just tell us a bit about yourself and what inspired your cookbook and I will do the rest, since I already did a review. Also it would be great to have a cookbook featured along with the storybooks!

    ReplyDelete