Tuesday, February 12, 2013

VALENTINE SUGAR COOKIES


Some time ago I saw a decorative design on a slice of cake
that caught my attention.  Thankfully I did a rough sketch on paper
because I knew I would never remember otherwise.
Today I found the paper and did something similar on the
heart-shaped sugar cookies I baked.


Icing tiny hearts one by one is just a bit too tedious for my liking.
So I line them up on wax paper for an assembly line splash
or 'swish',  for lack of a better word.


Using a small round tip, they are done in no time ...
and they are quite pretty.


I go to more effort with the larger hearts.
There are so many lovely possibilities after the initial coating
of thin white icing.


For part of the day the sun was hidden behind the Chinook arch
that hung around overhead.  Suddenly, as I finished the
chocolate scroll and the pink flowers, the sun dipped below the
clouds and came streaming into my west window.
I loved the shine and glow the beams cast on the hearts.


I loved it so much I kept snapping pictures from different angles.


So pretty, so lovely!


Even without the sun's rays, they look wonderful.
I wish I could offer one to all my readers.
But since I can't, I simply offer this idea
for a sweet love token.



VALENTINE SUGAR COOKIES

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. almond extract

In a mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, egg and flavorings;
beat together thoroughly.

2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar

Blend dry ingredients and all to creamed mixture until well blended.
Cover and chill 2 to 3 hours.
Divide dough in half.  Roll each half  ¼ inch thick on lightly floured
surface or parchment paper.  Cut into desired shapes and place on
lightly greased baking sheet.
Bake in preheated 375° oven for 7 to 8 minutes or until light
brown on the edges.
When cool spread with Quick White Icing.

Icing:  Measure 2 cups powdered sugar into bowl.  Moisten with milk
to spreading consistency, about 2 to 3 tablespoons.
Melt chocolate wafers for the scroll design.
The flowers were made with pink butter icing.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, these look sooooo delicious! And they're pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look almost too pretty to eat; but I wouldn't let that keep me from trying one, or two, or three if I had the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are a work of art...as usual! Very,very pretty Judy! I love that sun-bathed look too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does all look amazing! I love the changes, and that new entry is beautiful! Great job!
    Kitchen in lucknow

    ReplyDelete