Wednesday, March 20, 2013

CORN TORTILLAS


I don't know what comes to your mind as you look at this
picture but I see a soft and pretty round with a rather fancy edge.
My friend Erma introduced me to corn tortillas years ago and I have
made ever so many since then.
  They can be used as the base in a variety of dishes.


I expected they would require special practise but found that
it is as easy as making a crepe or thin pancake.
My only warning is, 'don't grease the pan.'
I did once and the batter did all manner of funny things.


Pour about ¼ cup of batter into the pan and spread into
a 6 inch circle with the back of the scoop.


When the edges begin to look dry, flip to the other side.


Tomorrow I will post a recipe using these corn tortillas.

CORN TORTILLAS

1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup cornmeal
1 egg
¼ tsp. salt
1½ cups cold water

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl; beat until smooth.
Pour about ¼ cup batter onto a medium hot ungreased, non-stick skillet.
Using the back of a spoon or ladle, spread batter into a 6-inch circle.
Turn tortilla when edges begin to look dry, but not brown.
Bake on other side; remove to platter.
Continue with remaining batter.
Yield: 10 tortillas

1 comment:

  1. Corn flour pancakes/crepes will be a fitting name in my book, though they look justlike corn tortillas. That said, go ahead and call'em whatever you wish! cake, bread, tortilla whatever as long as they are yummy. The eggs help them hold. Have you tried making them without eggs? Mine without eggs don't come out so lovely.

    ReplyDelete