Thursday, May 30, 2013

PECAN BISCOTTI


My daughter took me to a 'Beth Moore' Bible study when I was in NY.
On this occasion Lisa brought the snack and it was this
lovely biscotti.  I was hoping the ladies were concentrating on
the presentation and no one was keeping a tally of the
number of slices the guest was enjoying.
It is one of those morsels that are not too sweet, delightful to snack
and you just can't seem to keep from reaching for just one more!


Lisa was glad I liked them so well and was happy to share the
recipe.  Hers were made with walnuts which I did not have today.
I used pecans and this picture is a reminder not to copy what I did.
The nuts were coarsely chopped but they should be chopped much
smaller like Lisa's were.


These are the roughly shaped logs of dough on parchment.


They puff and rise very nicely.  I believe I ate one of the ends
at this time ...  I couldn't resist.


Lay them out on the parchment and bake again.  On this picture
I had flipped them over and baked for a final time.


I used about ½ cup of melted while chocolate to made the drizzle pattern.
If you were to dip half of each cookie into melted chocolate
you would need about 1 cup.


Cookies layered in container with waxed paper in between.


PECAN BISCOTTI

½ cup butter, softened (no substitutions)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars until creamy.  Add eggs one at a time
beating well after each addition.  Beat in vanilla.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped

Combine dry ingredients; gradually beat into creamed mixture just until blended.
Stir in pecans.  Divide dough in half.  Form each half into a 2 -inch wide log and
place on parchment lined baking sheet spacing 3 inches apart.
Bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Place pan on wire rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Slide logs onto cutting board.  Using a serrated knife, cut each log crosswise
into ½-inch thick slices.  Place cut side down on same baking sheet.
Bake for 12 minutes; remove from oven and turn slices over.  Continue baking
for an additional 12 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

If you like, dip half of each cookie into melted chocolate or drizzle
with melted chocolate. Let harden on waxed paper.  Store in airtight container
at room temperature for up to a week or in freezer up to one month.
Yield: about 16 biscotti

2 comments:

  1. Ah, a post after my own heart. I love biscotti and am always looking for new recipes that aren't too sweet. Will definitely try these :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love biscotti...dunk it in coffee, and aahhh! So good!

    ReplyDelete