Tuesday, May 28, 2013

TIRAMISU DESSERT


I love desserts with cake and pudding when the weather is
warm and Spring is blooming with fresh glory.
My friend Ruth Ann had this dessert at a wedding in
Ephrata, PA and is happy to share the recipe with me.
And in turn I am happy to pass it along to my readers.
It simply hit the spot with the people I shared it
with today out on my deck.


Excuse the pickles .. they were not meant to be in the picture.
I had a little visitor who was watching and while happily munching on dills.
The beating noise got to her so went into the next room to paint.
Meanwhile the egg whites were beaten to a glossy form.
I could have used a white cake mix for this recipe but I am not
a mix kind of cook.  So I opted to make a sponge cake but another
kind of white cake will work.


The egg yolks need to be beaten until they lighten in color.


On this picture you can see the egg yolk batter is very
thick and fluffy.


Gentle folding is the method to blend the 3 mixtures into one ..
no beating allowed.


Cool cake for a few minutes on a rack after baking.


I froze the cake for a time so it would be easier to cut.  After I removed it
from the freezer I was distracted by another detail.  The cake thawed, I cut
and got some crumbs .. but that's alright.  I forgave myself.


Loosen the cake cubes from the parchment paper with a metal spatula.


In my haste to finish, I managed to take only one picture of the creamy
mixture as I am about to do a final beating before folding in the whipped cream.
This is when you would add more powdered sugar if you want it sweeter.


The designer part ... layer upon layer .. something like good, better, best.
Chill well ... enjoy!



TIRAMISU DESSERT

Grease 10 x 15-inch baking pan.  Line with parchment paper.

3 egg whites, at room temperature
¼ cup sugar

In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.  Gradually
add sugar, beating well after each addition until meringue is stiff and glossy.

3 egg yolks
1½ tbsp. water
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

In another mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until light and lemon-colored.
Add water, sugar and vanilla; continue to beat until thick and fluffy.
Gently fold into egg whites.

½ cup + 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt

Blend dry ingredients.  Sprinkle over egg mixture, folding in with rubber
spatula just until blended.

Spread into prepared pan; bake in preheated 375 degree oven for
11 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden.
Set cake on wire rack to cool.
When cool, cut cake into ½ -inch cubes.
(freezing cake for about 1 hour makes it easier to cut into cubes)

2 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup spiced rum (Captain Morgan)
(or if you prefer, use 1 tsp. rum flavoring)
1¼ cup whipping cream
¼ cup powdered sugar
¼ cup strong coffee, chilled
Shaved bittersweet chocolate

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy; gradually beat in
sweetened condensed milk, then rum.
Whip cream to soft peaks; add powdered sugar and beat until blended.
Fold into cream cheese mixture.
Spoon small amount of the creamy mixture into each of 12 dessert cups;
top with a handful of cake cubes.  Sprinkle with about ½ tsp. coffee.
Repeat with another layer of creamy mixture, cake cubes and a sprinkling
of coffee.  Top with more creamy mixture and shaved chocolate.
Chill for several hours before serving.
Yield: 12 servings

1 comment:

  1. Good Morning, Judy! This is one of my favourite desserts. We sometimes make it for weddings.

    ReplyDelete