Sunday, July 7, 2013

A FOREVER FEAST, LOSSES IN CONTRAST



Looking back on this week, I was brought face to face with losses ...
... in life  ...  and in substance.
I think of my friend who dealt with the death of her elderly father.
Another friend lost a grown son who leaves behind a wife and children.
Nineteen firemen did not survive the fire they were fighting in Arizona.
And there were others.


As I watched this coming turbulance out the window, it was inevitable
that another storm of significant proportions was approaching.


 I wished that the clouds were not directly on course
to pass overhead, but they were.


The ominous white trailing the lighter grey clouds that were moving
swiftly came staight into the yard.


On this picture you can see the there appeared to be three depths or
 levels to the storm .. one bank of cloud is passing close to my window.

They came ..they hit the ground ... and bounced  .. and rolled.
Like tennis balls flying around without any rackets to stop them.
It is a sound like no other ..  hundreds of rocks pounding the roof and siding ..
striking the windows .. hurling their might to the earth. 


Graciously there was a limit to the monsters that came first and looked
 like tennis balls. After the initial onslaught the chunks of ice
were more in number but smaller in size.


The day before I took this picture of the neighbors lush  and promising
field of canola.


After the storm, the plants were stripped of most of the color
and yield potential.


Most times when I am certain that my beloved flowers are going to
be taking a hit, I place a covering over them.
For some reason I was too engrossed in watching the clouds
to remember my plants.


And so they took a hit without any protection.
Restoration will happen unlike some other areas where
 the damage was much like a threshing machine had passed over.


Hours earlier this field of corn stood tall and verdant.


It is over .. finished .. a border of hail stones not yet melted
lies along the road.  The sky is brilliant blue .. a perfect backdrop
for the beautiful white clouds.
Life goes on .. not quite the same as before.

Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet will I rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.

Habakkuk 3:17,18 NIV

1 comment:

  1. Your post came just when I needed it...life will go on, but not the same as before.

    ReplyDelete