Monday, July 29, 2013

BLUEBERRY CRUMBLE


Summer is a lovely time to take road trips especially when
the destination takes you to family.  Recently I travelled
through many miles of Saskatchewan, past wide open prairie and
lush fields of wheat, canola, peas and other grain I couldn't identify.
But I really wanted to get to Warman and granddaughters and of
course the keepers of the home.
I was so excited!


Summer is also berry and picnic time.
One cool and cloudy day while I was there, a group of people
who are involved in prison ministry met for an outdoor wiener roast.
It is always fun to see the covers come off the dishes and peek
at the food people bring to these events.
This lovely sweet came warm, right out of the oven and was it ever good!
The recipe comes from Annabelle who used blueberries in hers
but I made it with fresh Saskatoons.


During the month of July I make several trips to a neighboring 
Saskatoon berry farm to pick enough berries that I think I
will need until the next year's crop.
My granddaughters were able to experience their first picking ..
not in the wilds like I did at their age.
This was a comfortable and easy pick.


Plump, juicy berries are cooked in a filling and spread over the crust.


I have numerous similar recipes, but I was especially
impressed with this one because the shortbread crust is very tender.
In addition I appreciate a topping that does not overpower the
fruit filling which to me is the star of the creation.


BERRY CRUMBLE
(or BERRY PLATZ as some would say)

3/4 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. salt
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1 tsp. baking powder
1 egg, beaten

In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour and salt.  Cut in butter with
pastry blender or food processor until mixture is crumbly.
Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture; set aside.
Add baking powder and beaten egg to flour mixture and stir to combine.
Pat into greased 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.

½ cup sugar
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2/3 cup water
3 cups blueberries or Saskatoon berries

In a saucepan, blend together sugar and cornstarch.  Add lemon juice,
water and 1 cup of the berries.  Cook just until thickened, stirring constantly.
Stir in remaining berries.  Spread over crumb crust.
Sprinkle reserved crumbs evenly over berries.
Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until
crumbs are lightly browned.
Delicious served warm!
Yield: 10 to 12 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment