Sunday, August 4, 2013

A FOREVER FEAST, FOR-GET-ME-NOT

Travelling home from Saskatchewan along unfamiliar stretches of
highway, my granddaughter and I came upon a sign for an antique shop.  It was time
for a short break and the anticipation of finding a pretty treasure was keen.
 Located on a corner of a small farming town, the building seemed unpretentious
but very neat and inviting.



Unknowns can be intimidating but not here .. excitement ran high.
My granddaughter was immediately caught up in the world of millinery
especially the ones with the lovely netting over the forehead.
She had so much fun trying different ones but always came back to the
pink petal creation.


My eyes were darting all over in search of  beautiful old dishes and china
tea cups.  I was looking for a special kind of Royal Albert and I found it!
We browsed and admired knowing that we could never do justice to 
bountiful the treasures stacked and heaped in every nook.



For over 4 decades I have appreciated two china tea cups that
were gifted to me by a friend.  Tiny blue forget-me-nots is the
design on the beautiful shapes.  Many years ago I noticed that the
saucers were mysteriouslyy cracked and broken just as they sat in

Of all the china patterns produced in England, what are the chances
that I would be able to locate two missing Forget-me-not saucers?
As Jodie and I were leaving the antique shop I happened to see some
pieces in the Forget-me-not pattern.  Quickly I returned to the owner and
posed a question. 'If you had two extra tea cup saucers in this pattern,
would you sell them to me?'  The answer was yes.  I bent down to the
bottom shelf and found the tea cups.  I counted the saucers. 
There were two extra!!


Today my teacups are paired and no longer mismatched.
Is this important in the scheme of life?  Absolutely not!
Would the gold rimmed white saucers do?  Certainly!
Did I need the two missing saucers?  Of course not!
So what is the significance for me in this story?
Let me tell you.  A year or so I told the Lord that I would really
like to have two matching saucers.  I also made sure that He knew
it was not a big deal to me.  I told Him that I was certain He could bring
it about even though it was so unnecessary.
Were my sensations tingling when I realized I had an answer to prayer
I quietly breathed so long ago?

God, in this tiny moment, this unimportant event, I saw Your hand
and I am awed that you are intimately involved in my life!

Go out and stand on the mountain
in the presence of the Lord,
for the Lord is about to pass by."
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart
and shattered the rocks before the Lord,
but the Lord was not in the wind.
After the wind there was an earthquake,
but the Lord was not in the earthquake.
After the earthquake there was a fire,
but the Lord was not in the fire.
And after the fire came a gentle whisper.
I Kings 19:11, 12  NIV

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda MaendelAugust 5, 2013 at 7:51 AM

    Happy tea drinking with your new matched sets, Judy!
    Just want to also remind you that I plan to blog my European travels, depending on time and internet excess of course. We're leaving this coming Saturday. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,
      I am already travelling with you in Europe via your blog!
      Fun, fun! Some day I hope to serve you tea in my new matched
      tea cups.

      Delete
  3. What an amazing little tale! And what a neat reminder that God delights in delighting us! Are those tea cups just for pretty or could a person actually have a cup of mint tea in one of them? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RAS, It was a moment I will always treasure. And yes, the cups are so pretty but also useful. I would love to serve you a cup of mint tea in one of them.

      Delete
  4. I love it!! Those kind of answers to prayer are so wonderful because they are so personal! To know God loves us so very much in such an intimate way is powerful! AP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello AP,
      It is thrilling beyond words that God cares so much about us!

      Delete
  5. Your granddaughter looks lovely in that hat! AP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, AP, she is adorable in that hat!
      She tried on lots more but that was the one!

      Delete
  6. I love the story of you tea cup saucers! Our God is so personal! He cares and reminds us of His love in so many ways! I was encouraged. Thanks for sharing! Renee Sensenig

    ReplyDelete