Sunday, September 22, 2013

A FOREVER FEAST, OF FLICKERS AND FLOWERS


This past week was a glorious reminder that summer was fleeting.
For most farmers, the wheat harvest was wrapping up
followed by a lovely rain that watered the dry earth.
Though sunny and clear, the days are much cooler and the
nights getting rather chilly.


Every Fall I wonder ... will I see them?
Yes!  Just a couple days ago I spied the colorful flicker.
They will hang around for a while and I will keep my eyes
glued to the windows.


I try to creep up on them whenever I can but they are wary
and off like a shot when they spy me.


Three were huddled in various places on this pole. When the wind
ruffled the feathers the bird seemed textured onto the wood.


I brought some sunflowers inside to enjoy and brighten 
my kitchen with their sunny disposition and bright colors.
They look so cheerful and happy .. a feeling I could not help but absorb.


Alas ... after a few days .. the branches droop ...
 heads bowed, they look so sad.
Whatever is the matter?


I took a lesson from these pretty blooms.
While they remained on the stock they thrived.
After I cut them off they began to lose their vital nourishment
and could not survive for long.


From the words of Jesus ..

'I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.
Remain in me, and I will remain in you.
No branch can bear fruit by itself;
it must remain in the vine.
Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.'
John 13: 1, 4





No comments:

Post a Comment