Wednesday, October 2, 2013

PUMPKIN PIE CUPCAKES




Wow, doesn't this look good!!
It is that and then some!


My first impression when I saw these posted on a friend's timeline
was to imagine that these were time consuming.
How else could a pumpkin pie cupcake be made without
 a fussy thin crust?   Crust-less and still keeping it's shape?
Impossible, I thought. 
I was wrong ... these are very easy .. delicious and addicting!


A little bit of flour in the batter turns into a firm crust-like outer
layer.  The center maintains that custard pumpkin pie texture.


First off I was daunted by these huge muffin papers which is all
I had guaranteed to be non-stick.
Since I couldn't wait, I gave them a try anyway.


I was so involved with this simple recipe that I forgot to take
pictures of the steps.  Here they are already out of the oven looking
appealingly wrinkled in the over-size wrapping.
The papers worked out just fine.  Couldn't wait for them to cool
enough to taste.


Cooled, garnished and ready to eat!
A fork is nice, but really, they can be picked up, held with fingers
and enjoyed.
So glad for a new Thanksgiving idea!


PUMPKIN PIE CUPCAKES

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. baking powder
¼ baking soda
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. salt

In a bowl, stir together dry ingredients; set aside.

2 large eggs
½ cup brown sugar, packed
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 can (14 oz. or 398 ml.) pumpkin puree
(about 1½ cups)
3/4 cup half-and-half

In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs until beaten.
Add sugars and vanilla; whisking until smooth.
Whisk in pumpkin and half-and-half.
Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined.
Divide batter evenly between 12 paper-lined muffin cups.
Bake in preheated 350 oven for 20 minutes.
Remove to wire rack and allow to cool completely.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream.

NOTE:  I added 2 tablespoons fine graham cracker crumbs to the flour mixture.
I also baked the cupcakes for 25 minutes.
I tried this recipe both ways and found the added graham crumbs and additional
time in the oven gave more substance to the outer crust and neither did they
sink in the middle.  The flavor was not compromised but the center
may have been slightly less custardy.







1 comment:

  1. Cute isn't the word! I think you forgot to give me one when I stopped by...oh well...I get to imagine how good they tasted. Gorgeous little post!

    ReplyDelete