Wednesday, November 27, 2013

CRANBERRY COFFEE CAKE



How I wish I could join my family in New York for their 
Thanksgiving dinner!
I was just there for several weeks and I can perfectly picture how
it will all come together.
I am so thankful for them and the marvelous moments we shared together.
Today I made a moist and delicious coffee cake with cranberries that
is just perfect for tea time in the coming holiday season.


Whenever I use a springform pan, I cover the bottom with a piece of
parchment paper.


Place the side pan on top of parchment and fasten the edge.
When cake is baked and side of pan is removed, I find it much easier
to move the cake to a serving plate by sliding it off the parchment paper.


Pan is prepared and the batter is mixed.  Half the batter is spread
on the parchment-lined bottom.


Sprinkle with a mixture of chopped cranberries and sugar.
After this picture, I did a more even spread.


Sprinkle with the topping.


Bake until deliciously browned!



CRANBERRY COFFEE CAKE

½ cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp. grated orange zest
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs

Cream butter, sugar, zest and vanilla together in a mixing bowl.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating until light and fluffy.

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1¼ cups plain yogurt or sour cream
2 cups chopped cranberries
¼ cup sugar

Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
Add dry ingredients alternately with yogurt to creamed mixture until
combined. Batter will be thick.
Spread half of the batter into 10-inch prepared springform pan.
Combine cranberries and sugar; spread evenly over batter.
Top with remaining batter.

¼ cup brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. butter, softened
¼ tsp. cinnamon
2 tbsp. slivered almonds

Combine sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon until crumbly; stir in almonds.
Sprinkle over batter.
Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until wooden pick
inserted in center comes out clean.
Remove to wire rack to cool for 15 minutes.
Run metal spatula around inside edge to loosen cake.
Loosen spring fastener on side of pan; lift pan off.
Remove cake to serving plate.
Yield: 12 to 16 servings





3 comments:

  1. Nice post! I am so appreciative for them and the brilliant minutes we imparted together. Today I made a sodden and scrumptious espresso cake with cranberries that is only ideal for tea time in the nearing Christmas season.

    Cake shops

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! Will pass this on to my sister who loves to bake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have missed your posts so much...welcome back! I plan to make this one for sure! Looks wonderful, Judy!

    ReplyDelete