Sunday, December 8, 2013

A FOREVER FEAST, SHIVERING COLD


The winds blew and the snow piled .. warm inside
my old house .. the elements were fierce and wild .. I loved it!
It was hard to believe that yesterday everything was drab and brown.
And mild!


True to forecast the storm moved in on Monday, gathering velocity to
peak on Tuesday.  The temperatures were enough to keep me indoors ..
a snow drift in front of the door made it impossible to do otherwise.


I was preparing my heart for a call to tell me that the guests coming
for tea send their regrets.  It seemed the reasonable thing to do.
But no, they were coming!  A brave and adventuresome lady from
southern Virginia and her daughter who moved here.
Tea time is never so wonderful as when shared with a new friend 
that seems like an old friend I had never met.
I served Saskatoon tarts that are out of season but something my 
guest had never had.
With the storm raging outside, around the tea table felt so cozy ..
 a perfect memory making afternoon.


Beauty is anywhere a person wants to find it after an
old fashioned blizzard.


I love to scout the yard for the sculpted scenes.


My favorite gray partridge find the places were the snow is
shallow and get busy.


I'm sure I don't know what they find to eat but they scratch around
and uncover something to keep them going.


Similarly my magpie friend dug so deep into a certain spot,
I wondered if he had hidden an edible something.


He was in earnest and at times almost invisible.


I admired his tenacity at what he set out to do.


Storms exact a price .... afterwards they pay great dividends.
My computer and phone may not have worked properly for a time
but the serenely-chiseled snow waves are compensation.


Not wanting to face the sub zero weather, I spent a lot of time
in my kitchen this week.  These are snowball cookies that
I dip in a thin icing rather than powdered sugar.
They will be flying away and icing is more practical.
Peppernuts travel very well and even though I already made a
batch in NY, they are being sent as well.
The NY ones are long gone.


My daughter loves candied fruit cookies so they were on
the list to make.


I don't think there is a more beautiful cookie than the Linzer.
Delicate and dainty .. for my little granddaughter who loves a tea party.


From my house to yours, I wish you a blessed week of 
baking if you do that .. and if not .. a blessed week
of reflection on the season in whatever you do.

In the sixth month, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth ..

'Greetings, you who are highly favored!
The Lord is with you.'

'Do not be afraid, Mary,
you have found favor with God.
You will be with child and give birth to a son,
and you are to give him the name Jesus.

..He will be great and will be called
the Son of the Most High.
The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David,
and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever;
his kingdom will never end.'

Luke 1:26, 28, 30, 32, 33. NIV


1 comment:

  1. Reading this and seeing the LOVELY pictures...especially the Prairie chickens...especially the drifts...especially the cookies :) They all warmed my heart and gave me a wintery, Christmasy feeling that is lingering. Blessings to your home from ours too, Judy!!

    ReplyDelete