Sunday, January 19, 2014

A FOREVER FEAST, MATERIALISM OF THE HEART


'Materialism of the Heart',  I have to confess I borrowed that
phrase from John Piper.
John was talking about Jesus and what He said about money.
I am not addressing money but something else that captured my
attention as I sorted my 'stuff'.
 Materialism .. hobbies .. heart ... is there a connection?


From the time I could hold a needle I have loved stitching and making
things that I thought were pretty.
My hobby treasure was a round tin .. a recycled object formerly full of candy.
It held a homemade pincushion, a metal hoop, a small scissors and recycled wooden
thread spools newly wound with brightly colored embroidery floss.
I learned to embroider ... on small pieces of fabric .. then dresser scarves
as they were called .. and on to pillow cases.
Were they pretty?  Yes, in a childish sort of way.
  I know because I still have some.


My fascination with handwork grew steadily over the years.
I continued on with crochet hooks and knitting needles.


Visits to a neighboring farmhouse where needlework flourished always 
whetted my appetite to learn more.
My eyes caught sight of this and I was hooked.


Learning to make beautiful things with thread and needle is not
a bad thing.  For me it was a creative outlet and a time for relaxation.
Sorting through the remnants of my stitching 'career' this past week
brought back so many memories of people and places.
My projects span over many many years and yet
they took up a good bit of time.
As I consider the concept of materialism of the heart and my hobbies
of the past, I have some regrets.
I cannot recapture the time it took to place the stitches on the fabric.
The desire and discipline to memorize scripture was not cultivated.
I didn't want to memorize .. memorizing was work.
Stitching was fun.
I love when God and I have these conversations.
And I reaffirm my commitment to Him!

On the Sabbath we went outside the city gate
to the river, where we expected to find a place of prayer.
We sat down and began to speak 
to the women who had gathered there.
One of these listening was a woman named Lydia,
a dealer in purple cloth from the city of Thyatira,
who was a worshiper of God.
The Lord opened her heart to respond 
to Paul's message.
Acts 16: 13 - 14





1 comment:

  1. I well remember all the "stitching" and knitting and crochetting going on in your house...a whole lot of talent and time went into all those beautiful creations! I enjoyed this post very much!

    ReplyDelete