Saturday, January 18, 2014

POTATO CHEESE GALLETTE


This red fluted deep baking dish was gifted to me at Christmas ..
The color grabbed me as did the heavy weight.  I noted the
 imprint on the back ... made in France .. another reason for excitement.
I couldn't wait to try it ... the first use was for a quiche .. it baked beautifully.
Then I needed a quick potato dish and again I was so impressed
with this quality product.
This is not a commercial for a dish but rather for a good, good recipe!
The potatoes were yummy .. tender but not mushy with a crisp top!


Some recipes instruct potatoes, seasonings and onions be stirred together.
I have done that but I have also used the layering method because I
can dispense the ingredients more evenly that way.
My recipe reflects my preference but either way works so use
whatever way you like best.



POTATO CHEESE GALETTE

2 tbsp. olive oil
½ cup chopped onions or shallots
5 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper

Saute onions in oil until tender; set aside
Peel potatoes and cut into thin slices; toss with salt and pepper.
Layer half potatoes into buttered 9-inch baking dish.
Sprinkle with half of the sauteed onions.

½ cup half and half
1/8 tsp ground thyme
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Stir thyme into half and half; pour ¼ cup over potatoes in dish.
Sprinkle with 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese and ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese.
Layer remaining potatoes, onions, half and half mixture and cheeses.
Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes until top is golden
and potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 to 5 servings.





1 comment:

  1. This is delicious! A bit reminiscent of scalloped potatoes, just taken to a whole new level! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I was given your book by my youngest daughter after her trip to Aberta. Everything we`ve tried has been yummy!
    Lisa Paris, Ontario

    ReplyDelete