Thursday, January 16, 2014

RASPBERRY and BLACKBERRY SLICE



January is my catch-up month .. the ideal time to stay inside
especially when the wind is howling as it has been relentlessly
for weeks on end.  I forget about the elements outside and concentrate
on doing things that have been pushed aside for a time.
Not having any deadlines, I can go through closets
and purge clutter.  I catch up on sewing projects and perhaps
even read a book for an entire day without feeling guilty.  My house is in need for
some redecorating so I keep busy and time is passing quickly.
Today the sun is shining, the snow is nearly all melted, wind is at a minimum
 and I want to blog the berry slice I made yesterday.


I couldn't resist a container of blackberries that were on sale,
and I wanted to use them with raspberries in my freezer.
The pairing seemed perfect to bake between a crust and a 
creamy topping.  I like it!


Colors of summer can help deal with any winter blues.
Someone put out a challenge to use up whatever is in your freezer
and I am very willing to make that a reality.


I couldn't wait to peel back the parchment paper to
see if the crust was nice and brown.


After cooling on a rack and chilling in the fridge,
they cut into perfect little squares .. or bars .. or slices.


RASPBERRY and BLACKBERRY SLICE

1¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. grated lemon rind
1/3 cup butter
¼ cup  flaked coconut
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp. oil


Blend flour, sugar, baking powder and lemon rind.  Cut in butter until
crumbly using pastry blender or food processor.  Mix in coconut.
Add egg and oil and mix until well blended.
Pat into 8 x 8 -inch parchment-lined baking pan.

1 cup raspberries
1 cup blackberries
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
¼ cup heavy cream or half and half
2 eggs
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Layer berries on top of crust.
Mix remaining ingredients until smooth.  Spread mixture on top of 
berries to cover and all around the edges.
Bake in preheated 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until 
the edges are lightly golden.  The center may still be slightly jiggly.
Cool completely in pan on a rack.
When cool, refrigerate for 30 minutes before cutting to insure clean edges.
Yield: 25 small slices



1 comment:

  1. Oh-h-h...may I stop in for a bite of summer? Black raspberries are one of the best fruits God ever created! These look so dainty and delicious Judy!

    ReplyDelete