Sunday, February 9, 2014

A FOREVER FEAST, PERSEVERANCE


Something has caused this gathering of contrasts.
Never do they congregate in my yard without a purpose.


Tracks abound with signs of visitors even though
most days the tray sits empty in the snow. 


Ever watchful, the eyes of the black-billed magpie are constantly peering.
It pays to check and today there is a reward for perseverance.


What began as a light strawberry cake with a fluffy pudding
topping proved to fail the human excellency test.
It is not that I need to feel sorry for these birds, on the contrary
they seem undaunted by storm or wind or freeze.


With gratifying emotion I watch the crumb-diminishing ritual.
One comes, scoops out and flies off to a branch to enjoy his morsel
in private.  Another is waiting on its heels .. or is it wings?


Not a crumb is overlooked.


Their raucous aggressive behavior used to annoy me especially when
they did their utmost to empty the suet feeder.
But my appreciation for these beautiful birds has grown especially during
the winter months when I see how they continue to thrive in most adverse weather
conditions. Their coats shine and they exude energy that amazes me.
So yes, I deliberately save throw-away crumbs that I know
will bring them in sight of my windows.
I have to be very careful though because the first glimpse of me and they are gone.
A very clever bird is that magpie!

Perseverance is possible as long as we 
remain convinced that God is at work ......
changing people, changing out circumstances, and changing us.

And let us not get tired of doing what is right,
for after a while we will reap a harvest of blessing
if we don't get discouraged and give up.
Galatians 6:9 LB



No comments:

Post a Comment