Saturday, March 29, 2014

APRICOT ZINGS


I love when I come across a recipe in one of my many cookbooks with my note on the side:
"Made for Church potluck on March 16, 1986.  Delicious!"
I wish I had kept it up with all the recipes I tried.
I offered to bake squares for a ministry fund-raiser and this is one
 I chose because they taste great and are easily transportable.


The bottom crust is very tasty!


A layer of apricot goodness bakes into a firm but soft filling.


Sprinkle crumble over top and bake.


You can have these in the oven in and out of the oven in no time.
They keep well and are excellent for freezing.


APRICOT ZINGS

1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup flaked coconut
½ tsp. salt
½ cup butter, melted

Combine graham crumbs, flour, brown sugar, coconut and salt in a bowl.
Add melted butter and mix.  Reserve 1 cup.
Pack remaining mixture into parchment-lined 9 x 9-inch pan.
Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.

1 cup dried apricots

In small saucepan, cover apricots with water.
Simmer for 15 minutes.  Drain and chop.

2 eggs 
1 cup brown sugar, scant
¼ tsp. almond extract
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt

Beat eggs until frothy.  Add sugar and almond flavoring; mix.  Stir in flour, 
baking powder and salt.  Add apricots and stir again.
Spread over bottom layer.  Sprinkle with reserved crumbs. 
Return to oven and continue to bake for 30 minutes.
Cool and cut into squares.
Yield: 25 small squares

No comments:

Post a Comment