Friday, August 1, 2014

BLUEBERRY PIE BARS


I have tried numerous recipes that begin with a shortbread crust, 
spread with a berry-custard type filling and topped with streusel.  When this one came 
to my attention I thought it would be just like my others.
Since my niece sent it, I really wanted to try it .... I did .. and wow are they good!
Not too sweet and not too rich,
this juicy morsel is the perfect pairing of berries and crumb ....
  ...  bordering on perfection. 


You may think this picture is totally out of sync with my recipe but it is here
intentionally to show you the storm that cleaned out the neighboring
Saskatoon berry patch. I have come to count on this site for my stash of berries
that are a staple in the freezer for winter desserts.  But not one berry was left after
the hail targeted this specific location.


I tried to resign myself to being without my favorite berries for the
coming year.  Surprise! A good friend of mine called to tell me that I was 
being gifted with native berries picked in the wild.  I was ecstatic!
When they were delivered I was even more excited because I did not
remember that they grew so big out in the hills.
Saskatoon berries in my freezer ... it makes me glad.


The original recipe calls for blueberries which would be equally delicious
but here I am using Saskatoon berries.


This recipe goes together very quickly ... stir crumb ingredients together with fork.


Whisk the custard ingredients together until smooth.


Pour over the crumb crust in the parchment-lined pan.


Next come the berries ... after taking this picture I evened them out a bit more.


Top with crumbs and pop into the oven.


When cool, lift out of pan with edges of parchment.  Peel parchment
away from the sides.  Cut into bars or squares (in Canada).
Invite friends in for a sampling with ice cream.  I did that on this
hot afternoon ... they loved it!




BLUEBERRY PIE BARS

½ cup butter, melted
1/3 cup sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1½ cups all-purpose flour
pinch of salt

Stir together butter and sugars.  Add flour and salt; stir with fork until crumbly.
Set aside 3/4 cup crumble.  Pat remaining crumbs into a parchment-lined
9 x 9 - inch, baking pan.

1 large egg
½ cup + 2 tbsp. plain or Greek yogurt
¼ cup sugar
1 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. almond extract

Whisk egg, yogurt, sugar, flour and flavorings together until very smooth.
Pour evenly over prepared crust.

1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch
2 cups blueberries or Saskatoon berries
1 tbsp. lemon juice

Combine sugar and cornstarch.  Toss with berries and lemon juice.
Arrange evenly over custard filling.
Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until streusel topping
is lightly browned.  Cool and cut into bars.
Can be served warm or chilled.
Yield: 16 bars, about 2 inches square


No comments:

Post a Comment