Sunday, September 21, 2014

A FOREVER FEAST. SECRETS


From a distance it appeared some stucco had fallen off the old building.
But soon I saw the unmistaken outline of one of Alberta's most formidable raptors.
My little friend and I turned around and slowly walked back for my camera
hoping it would keep it's perch until we returned.


Surprisingly it allowed us to get quite close.  
I am reminded of losing myself in the haunting tales of Thornton Burgess
and his animal world, in the very building Mr Owl found refuge on.
The master storyteller weaving for us children, sights and sounds of 
the secret lives of the animal kingdom.
No wonder I love to ponder the secretive world of birds.


The large eyes fixed in place seem to pierce right through me.
What is it thinking?  Is there a secret only known to owls?


Why does he seem so wise?  Story tellers have crafted an image of
'the wise old owl'.  Is it because those staring eyes appear to be evaluating and judging?


To look up or down, or to the side, he moves his entire head.
He will swivel his neck 180 degrees.


Tonight I saw his silhouette against the nighttime sky,
as he perched atop an electrical wire.
Glory and praise to the Creator who made this striking bird
and who knows all of the secrets.

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place
Ween I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

Psalm 139: 14 - 16



1 comment:

  1. "Hooty" is one of my very favorite birds...so naturally I think this post is exceptional! I,too, grew up on Thorton W. Burgess's tales...and i love them to this day! :)

    ReplyDelete