Monday, December 15, 2014

ZESTY LIME SHORTBREAD


Some of my friends are sending gentle encouragement my way
in the form of telling me they are missing my blogs.
I need those reminders now and again!
Earlier in the fall, I spent several wonderful weeks in NY during which
I had no time to blog because I was too busy enjoying the grandchildren
and helping my daughter with projects and cooking.
Back home and getting close to Christmas I am very busy baking cookies to send to
that same far off place in NY where my grands are waiting for the
traditional box from Gram.  That is done and the box is on it's way,
thanks to a kind friend who mails it for me in Montana.


I find myself making the same Christmas cookies year after year but
I also like to try some new recipes.  This one caught my attention because 
it has finely chopped toasted coconut in the dough as well as the 
tangy flavor of lime.
Since some of these were being sent in the mail, I made them into a 
sandwich cookie rather than a snowflake or star which are more fragile.


Cut out into the star shape, this perfectly tender butter cookie 
looks very festive.


Tip: if you find this dough to be dry, 
add ice water (1 tsp. at a time) until a dough forms.




ZESTY LIME SHORTBREAD

½ cup flaked coconut, toasted
½ cup sugar
zest from two limes
1 tsp. vanilla
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup butter, cut into cubes

In a food processor, combine coconut, sugar,  lime zest and vanilla.
Cover and process until coconut is finely chopped.
Add flour; cover and pulse to combine.
Add butter; cover and process until mixture starts to cling.
Transfer to a large bowl and knead until smooth.
Shape dough into a ball; cover and chill for about 1 hour until dough
is easy to handle.
Divide dough in half; roll out one portion on lightly floured surface, about
¼-inch thickness.  Using cookie cutters, cut into desired shapes.
Place cutouts 1-inch apart on parchment-lined cookie sheets.
Bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 15 -17 minutes or until bottoms
are just beginning to brown.
Transfer to wire rack; allow to cool.
Repeat with remaining dough.  Drizzle with glaze.
Yield: about 3 dozen cookies

Lime Glaze
In a bowl, stir together 2 cups powdered sugar, ½ tsp. finely grated lime peel,
and 2 tsp. lime juice. Stir in enough milk  ( 1 to 2 tablespoons) to make a glaze 
of spreading consistency. (If you prefer more tang, add more lime juice)


No comments:

Post a Comment